Sunday, April 7, 2013

Wifi router/dongle for TV using Raspberry Pi

Like most connected TVs, mine is ethernet only. The lack of wifi and moreover the price of the propitiatory wifi dongle bothered me a bit. With couple of Raspberry Pis collecting dust, I thought of a new place for them. It's behind the TV working as a wifi to ethernet adapter/router. One of the USB ports of the TV can power it (and thus the adapter turns on and off with the TV). Here's how simple it can look.


Raspberry Pi with the cute Asus N10 wifi dongle gave me everything I needed for the adapter. I just needed to set up the DHCP host for ethernet and the routing. Not being an expert of routing, troubleshooting it was a bit distressful but the hour was well worth. HD streaming was smooth and BBC iPlayer never felt so delightful! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment